Friday 20 February 2015

Independence.


Turning 16 meant that i was expected to be more responsible for my actions and also become more independent, find a job or just take care of my own business.
It meant arranging my own GP check ups and appointments.
I try not to depend on people, do things myself because then i feel better about the outcome. But i know for a fact i am not ready for being an adult and facing consequences on my own. I am scared of the future, but i am also very excited for what the future holds.
At the same time i want to stay in this place forever but also can't wait to move on. I am torn apart between what i want and what i need.

I have to admit, going College was a big step for me as I am generally a very anxious person. And i do not settle in well with a new environment. But i did it, i even got into the same form class as my best friend Trevor. Things were going fine, i didn't have the same lessons as Trevor but we made it work. We met up every break and ate lunch together. But i have not really managed to make a lot of new friends, most were just merely classmates i had to spend 2 hours in a classroom with. I did of course befriend a few.
But with so many people from my high school in college with me it didn't feel like a new chapter in my life.
All until i got transfered into a new campus.
I remember the day i found out me and Trevor sat outside a chemistry class just contemplating the rest of our college career.
I cried myself to sleep that night, knowing that after that weekend ends I will be stomping on a completely new territory.
On the following Monday, i met up with Trevor in the morning and Katy promised me to show me around the campus before my lesson. Of course he was late and i had to stop myself from strangling him. On the bus we ran into Ohini, a girl from my old english and science class. She was kind enough to show me to my class as i walked into a class like a lost puppy, with 23 teenage faces staring at me. Luckily, my new form tutor was my Biology teacher from the previous campus so it wasn't that bad. I quietly sat down.
The first day was awful but i managed to make 2 new friends during lunch time. I got the bus with them home.
Well let me tell you what, about 4 months later I am settling in good in the class. They seem to like me and I am not complaining either. I am a part of a friends group with 6 members (including me) and i still see Trevor on a regular basis.
Now I am not only much better at making friends, I am also more independent day by day. (Excluding going to any sort of doctor by myself)

So remember, there's always hope.
I wish you luck!

Crazy selfie from college (me on the right)

2 comments:

  1. Parents earned the right and privelage to book GP appointments for their children. My bro is 19 snd my mum still books him appointments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well your brother and my older brother have a lot in common then. :D

      Delete