Thursday 10 September 2015

Isle of Wight- Camp experiences. (this is not finished but still a handful to read, thought i owe you this asap. Will update tomorrow.)

Very professional title. I like it. specific and straight to the point.
I'm going to break it down for you into segments. Just so you don't get confused. I tend to ramble on and mix stuff from different events together. So honestly, it's so that i don't get confused.

Day 1: Saturday
The Arrival 
As soon as i got onto the ferry i was dreading it, i wanted to go back. as soon as i could. I was prepared to swim all the way back to Southampton. I'm always anxious to meet new people. It gets to the point where i will feel sick and dizzy. A whole week spent with strangers. I will be dependent on strangers. How cold my parents ever do something like that to me?
I wasn't alone of course. Martyna, Pawel, David and Daniel came with us.
I wasn't close with Martyna or anything, that's the thing. We talked but i didn't ever get a chance to KNOW her properly.
But this week she was stuck to me like glue and i didn't mind the slightest bit.

My first impressions: Wasn't what i expected. If only i knew what i expected. There was one massive tent with 2 big portacabins attached (kitchen and bathroom along side was a little building with staff toilets and a laundry room). Then there was approximately 3 tents for junior boys, 4 tent for senior boys, and 4 tents for senior girls. (All of the junior girls seemed to sleep in their own tents with their parents because staff had separate tents). Martyna & I got assigned to Senior Girls Tent number 3 .
We unpacked and set ourselves up, and left off to explore the site.
Turned out majority of people arrived a bit later so our little group of 5 was just hanging out on the grass.

Soon i came to the realisation that  I was one of the oldest campers, in fact Martyna, Me and This guy Owen and I think 2 other girls were the only 17 year olds there. Keep in mind that was out of MANY people.
I sort of wish that I found out about the camp a little bit earlier.

I was literally exhausted. This is due to the fact that on Saturday i literally got home from holidays in Poland at past 3am, and had to wake up at 6am to pack up and set off t the camp Keep in mind that i haven't slept for the whole Friday-Saturday night because i was on the bus. And it's virtually impossible to sleep on a bus to a noise sensitive person.

3 more girls joined us in the tent. And let me tell you they packed giant suitcases compared to ours. They probably had assigned 2 outfits per day. My suitcase onle contained 7 shirts and 3 pairs of trousers.
So with 5 people in the tent we got a little squashed up, but i didn't really mind that.

After the evening meeting we sat down on a bench and then David comes with these other 3 guys and they just randomly show off their music skills. Which quickly turned into a whole camp-rock experience. (whoever hasn't watched 'Camp Rock' needs to watch it this minute) We were sitting in a circle singing songs in the dark of the night (there was a light coming from the massive tent which illuminated just enough to play) To my surprise the guys have really beautiful voices, like wow. I was blown away at how talented these people are.
Our little circle attracted more people and soon the numbers doubled. It was very soothing and a new experience that i am glad i experienced. We sat there for a good hour until one of the mentors told us to go to bed.

They say the first night at a camp is the worst and i will never disagree with the statement, in fact, i can prove it.
I stayed up all night sitting on my mattress my body shaking. Wishing i was someplace elsewhere I rocked back and forth in my thin sleeping bag. Martyna woke up to the sound of my chattering teeth and looked at me sleepily and then widened her eyes when she realised it was me. I chuckled under my breath as she went back to sleep. (she didn't remember this in the morning)

Day 2:
Loners
Unable to feel my feet i got up at 4am to shower.
With every step to the bathroom i felt a chill go through me. Luckly we had a tent that was the closest to the showers. The amount of moths and bugs was just truly unbelievable.

After the shower i got dressed and returned to the tent Martyna threw an look at me and accused me of not waking her up early to shower. We made a pact that we will wake each other up early to avoid congestion in the morning showers.
We were ready at 5am. Watching the sun Rise






Day 7: Saturday
Saying our goodbyes
It was a lazy day, simply because there was no activities planned and everyone knew they have to return home. On one hand i couldn't wait, on the other i wouldn't mind staying a bit longer.
They broke down the swimming pool (hay stacks) on the floor which made a big clump of hay so I decided to rest a bit because, surprise surprise.. the mattresses were not the most comfortable thing to sleep on, literally every morning when i woke up i was aching with my every move.

I slept in the hay for a good half an hour without even realising i was. It felt so nice. The smell of hay is my life,of course Pawel always has to ruin things for me. He woke me up so that i help pick rubbish up from the camp site, I was like: 'What have i ever done to you?'
After hard work we drank lemonade, it was the best lemonade i have ever tasted.
 

Of course it wouldn't be Pawel if he didn't leave his mattress and sleeping bag on the table, which a while later it was nowhere to be seen. The people from Watford must've mistaken it for theirs as they packed things in bulk. His fault.

After packing up our stuff and taking down our tent me and Martyna decided to chill in the hay.
And that was probably the most honest conversation i had in a while. We talked like old friends, she opened up and told me all about her problems. And i was just thinking how blessed i am to be in a situation i am in. I always think about what i don't have but it made me realise what i do have is far more precious.

When David and Daniels dad arrived, well i will be honest with you. I literally didn't want to leave.
Seeing as we had plenty of time till the ferry departure we headed for the beach, I obviously was in search of the funkiest pebbles with Martyna joining right beside me.

On the ferry i wanted to buy the playing cards Josh bought, with the images of Isle of Wight on them. They were only £1.75. And to my luck they were out of stock. It was a shame but i couldn't do anything about it.

As soon as i arrived home, i headed for my bedroom (which looked as if it just survived a total massacre) and i jumped into lovely bed exhausted by the week.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment