Wednesday 11 March 2015

Cry Baby.


We just moved to London when I was in year 5 (I was 9 years old at the time.
And I had been a month in England, only knowing the words: 'Santa', 'Dog and 'Ghost' in English which i have learnt at my nursery in Poland. 
I got assigned to a school quite close to my house, not knowing how to even communicate. A girl from another class in my year translated some things for me.
I was a loner, and everyone knew it. I used to sit on the bench during break time, looking at groups of friends laughing and talking amongst themselves.
I used to contemplate why is it exactly that i can't have a friend?
I was painfully shy at the time, didn't even say a word to people even when they asked questions.
I remember we had end of unit tests at the end of each week and i would just sit there and cry because i didn't understand a thing on the test.
I always had like a massive gulp stuck in my throat, and i was just hoping i do not break into tears at any point during the school day.

Primary school days are not the days i remember as 'fun', i hated going to that school.
That was until year 6, In year 6 I have found a friend group willing to put up with me and I became one of the best math students in the class and got sent to extra classes for the 'smartasses' of the class. That meant i missed English lessons, something about that made me happy as i didn’t have to make a fool out of myself in front of people.

I got sent to extra English sessions along with other students in a similar situation as me. Not long after I became the best reader in the class ( Bear in mind i hated reading with a passion at that stage in my life.) I jumped from a miserable Level 3 in reading to Level 12 in just around 3 months.
Somewhere half-way through the year I was in a position of a polish-english translator to new students.
Which felt great. It felt great accomplishing something and seeing how far i have come as a person.
Why am i writing this?
To show people that everything is possible if you only invest your time and effort into it.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment